Monday 7 September 2009

Disney bought over Marvel!

Full post here with my ramblings of course.

But can you believe it! I guess this would be old news to some people....but I thought I should blog about this because it does raise questions. I mean I grew up with Marvel characters and Disney characters to know that both are 2 completely different genres....

Brief explanation:
Disney is buying Marvel Comics for $4billion.

Is it because of gaining company shares? Or market shares? Does this mean that they want to expand their business by appealing to many demographics and market segments in order to become the most successful business? Perhaps we might see Warner brothers buying over DC to balance out competition yea?? (jokes) In any case, I am really keen to know what Disney's main strategy is and how they will continue on with Marvel as the branded item. Hope that there will be no name changing or a fusion of newly created happy/gay characters and tough super heroes. Image will be ruined for both - its better to keep it separate.

While I was reading the 2nd article, it came across to me that the reason why many Marvel adaptations such as the most recent movies are a big hit yet many will die down soon is that most adaptations are not from the original story line or the story line is just shrunk to 3 hours max!

For Marvel, I guess that watching a live-action cartoon is more preferable than real life actors due to the fact that it was meant to draw people away from reality and that the incorporation of real actors/actresses as awesome fictional characters don't really sit well with me.....never have actually...I was so reluctant to watch any Marvel movies....except for Spider man (gotta admit that the action was real good).

X-men was not interesting at all because it turned out to be a love story in the end....Fantastic 4 was a real waste....I don't really see the point in Ghost Rider. Elecktra and Daredevil was alright. It was interesting although it was because I am not familiar with those characters.
I had not seen Iron man, the Hulk, or Blade. And the upcoming Thor movie?!

Sorry to those fans out there new and old...I cannot bring myself to like them....sigh....

Sources
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/aug/31/disney-marvel-buy-out
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2009/sep/01/disney-marvel-takeover

No comments: